Monday, August 2, 2010


Good Eats Bakery
July 24, 2010
Carrot Cake Cupcake
As the first entry for this blog, I feel like it is good to start with a bang. This carrot cake cupcake at Good Eats Bakery on Stevens Avenue is the bomb. The cake had a spicy flavor to it and was moist, which is oh so necessary for a good cupcake. I feel like I have had far too many dry cupcakes with amazing frosting. Good frosting is not enough to make a perfect cupcake; however it can make the cupcake tolerable. The frosting on the carrot cake cupcake was a cream cheese frosting and it had just the right amount on it. The frosting was not too sweet and very delicious. As you can tell from the picture, there is a tiny little sugar carrot sticking out of the frosting. The presentation was not as impressive when I was looking at it in the store, but once I got it out of the box in my apartment (where there was better lighting) I could see the intricate swirls of the frosting. It was beautiful! On the day that I went the cupcake selection was between the carrot cake cupcake and another one that looked like a vanilla frosting with a vanilla cake. I hope that the next time I go they have a few other varieties to try.
The rating system I’m going to use is sprinkles. A really great cupcake will get four out of four sprinkles. Only a cupcake that has mold or something gross would get zero sprinkles. Yes, I have been served a dessert with mold on it before (thankfully not a cupcake yet!).
The carrot cake cupcake at Good Eats is going to get four out of four sprinkles! So far, it’s the best cupcake I’ve had in Portland. My mission to find the best cupcake in Portland has just officially started. I am going to review the cupcakes and also other pastries, because honestly, so far there have been very few places that I have found that sell cupcakes. Any suggestions on places to try will be happily accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment